If you’re looking for a travel credit card that offers incredible travel rewards and benefits, the TD Platinum Travel Visa Card is the credit card for you. With this card, you can earn TD Rewards Points on everyday purchases and earn bonus Points on eligible purchases and travel bookings.
What is TD Platinum Travel Visa?
The Toronto-Dominion Bank, TD Platinum Travel Visa Card is an entry-level credit card that allows you to earn points in the bank’s proprietary TD Rewards program.
The card is a good fit for lower-income earners who want to earn travel rewards points with a fixed, predictable rate of return.
The TD Platinum Travel Visa is a credit card offered by TD Bank, a major Canadian financial institution. This card is designed for people who travel frequently and want to earn rewards on their travel purchases.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: How to Apply for Vietnam Visa For Indians: A Complete Application Guide
Some of the features and benefits of the TD Platinum Travel Visa include:
- Travel rewards: Cardholders earn points for every dollar they spend on travel purchases, such as flights, hotels, rental cars, and cruises. Points can be redeemed for travel rewards, including flights, hotel stays, car rentals, and vacation packages.
- Insurance coverage: The TD Platinum Travel Visa includes a range of insurance coverage, including travel medical insurance, trip cancellation/interruption insurance, flight delay insurance, and baggage insurance.
- Exclusive perks: Cardholders can enjoy a range of exclusive perks, such as access to airport lounges, concierge services, and special discounts on travel-related purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees: Unlike some other credit cards, the TD Platinum Travel Visa does not charge foreign transaction fees, making it a good choice for international travelers.
- Annual fee: The TD Platinum Travel Visa has an annual fee of $89, but this fee is waived for the first year.
TD Platinum Travel Visa Perks & Benefits
Here are perks and benefits if td platinum travel visa card:
- $370 worth of welcome offers,
- 5x the points on eligible travel bookings,
- 3x the points on groceries and recurring bill payments,
- 2x the points on everything else,
- Unlimited points that never expire,
- Bonus points & Star rewards on Starbucks purchases,
- No travel blackouts or seat restrictions,
- Redeem points for travel through any provider,
- Discounted airport lounge membership,
- Redeem points for Starbucks purchases,
- Redeem points for Amazon.ca purchases,
- Redeem points for tuition costs or student loan payments,
- Purchase protection,
- Extended warranty,
- There is No minimum income required to be eligible.
- Covers 4 types of travel insurance coverage,
- Discounted car rentals,
- Optional roadside assistance program,
- The TD Platinum Travel Visa Card offers Avis and Budget car rental discounts of 10% in Canada and the United States, and 5% internationally.
In addition, cardholders will receive an annual discount on a Priority Pass lounge membership, though this benefit isn’t nearly as strong as those offered by other credit cards that include a Priority Pass membership (often with free lounge visits) as a courtesy.
TD Platinum Travel Visa Bonuses & Fees
- 50,000 TD Rewards points
- $258 First-year value
Best offer is available publicly until May 28, 2023.
Sign up bonus:
- 15,000 TD Rewards points upon first purchase
- 35,000 TD Rewards points upon spending $1,000 in the first three months
- Total of 50,000 TD Rewards points
$0 for the first year, then $89
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Canada Student Visa Requirements and How To Apply
- 5 TD Rewards points per dollar spent on travel booked through Expedia for TD
- 3 TD Rewards points per dollar spent on groceries and recurring bill payments
- 2 TD Rewards point per dollar spent on all other purchases
The TD Platinum Travel Visa Card is offering 50,000 TD Rewards points as a sign up bonus:
- 15,000 TD Rewards points upon first purchase
- 35,000 TD Rewards points upon spending $1,000 in the first three months
Quebec residents do not need to spend a minimum amount to earn the remaining 35,000 points; they simply need to keep their account open and in good standing for 90 days.
The annual fee for the card is $89, which is currently waived for the first year.
The first supplementary card on each account costs $35, and the current first-year fee waiver applies to it as well. In the meantime, any subsequent supplementary cards are free.
Interest Rate: 20.99% on purchases, 22.99% on cash advances (20.99 for Quebec residents).
Welcome Offer: Apply by May 28, 2023 and earn up to 50,000 bonus TD Points plus no annual fee for the first year.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: 2023 Basic Steps for Extension of Visa For Domestic Helper Free – Apply Now
Note: Terms and conditions apply. You can visit the TD website for details.
How to Earn TD Points with your Platinum Travel Visa
The TD Points program is rapidly gaining popularity, and for good reason. It’s an incredibly flexible points program that allows you to earn rewards on your daily purchases and redeem them for things like travel, merchandise, account credit, and a few other crazy things that will blow your mind. The TD Platinum Travel Visa Card has three accelerated points categories to help you bank even more points on the necessities:
1. Up to 6x the points on travel purchases:
Travel purchases made with your TD Platinum Travel Visa Card earn the most points, with 6 TD Points per $1 spent online through Expedia for TD and by phone through the portal. This accelerated purchase category also has no annual spending limit.
2. Up to 4.5x the points on groceries and restaurants:
When you use your TD Platinum Travel Visa Card to buy groceries at participating grocery stores and restaurants, you’ll earn 4.5 TD Points for every $1 spent. But keep in mind that not all stores that sell groceries qualify as a grocery store. To qualify for 4.5x points, the store must have a Merchant Category Code (MCC) that classifies it as a grocery store on the Visa network.
To find out for sure if your favorite grocery store qualifies, call TD at 1-800-983-8472.
3. Up to 3X the points on recurring bill payments:
Do you have any recurring monthly bills? Of course you do, it’s a rhetorical question. Set your monthly recurring bills to automatically charge your TD Platinum Travel Visa Card to earn 3 TD Points per $1. Online streaming subscriptions, insurance premiums, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, cell phone bills, membership fees, and other recurring bill payments are all eligible.
You’re good to go as long as the merchant accepts pre-authorized payments and is classified as “recurring payments” on the Visa network. However, there is a $15,000 annual spending limit. When your total recurring bill payments, grocery, and restaurant charges reach $15,000 in a calendar year, the earn rate drops to 1.5 TD points per $1.
How to Redeem TD Platinum Travel Visa Rewards
The best way to redeem TD Rewards points is to book travel through Expedia for TD, an online travel portal operated in collaboration with Expedia.
You can book flights, hotels, car rentals, vacation packages, and anything else that Expedia normally allows you to book. You would apply your TD Rewards points to the purchase at a rate of 200 points = $1, or 0.5 cents per point.
If you prefer not to book through Expedia for TD, you can redeem TD Rewards points directly against any travel purchase made with your TD Platinum Travel Visa Card. However, the rate isn’t quite as appealing at 250 points = $1, or 0.4 cents per point.
It is also possible to redeem for statement credits or gift cards, though the rate is even less appealing at 400 points = $1, or 0.25 cents per point.
In general, you should try to redeem your TD Rewards points for travel through Expedia for TD whenever possible to maximize their value.
As long as you have a TD card, your TD Rewards points will never expire. If you cancel or switch your card to a different product, you will have 90 days to redeem your TD Rewards points before they expire, but you will lose the ability to book through Expedia for TD at 0.5 cents per point and will be limited to redeeming against any travel purchase at 0.4 cents per point.
TD Platinum Travel Visa Insurance Coverage
The TD Platinum Travel Visa Card, as an entry-level credit card, provides a fairly basic set of insurance provisions.
- There is no emergency medical coverage, trip cancellation insurance, or trip interruption insurance.
- Cardholders are covered for up to $500 in flight delay insurance and a total of $1,000 for lost, stolen, or delayed baggage while flying.
- The card’s car rental insurance protects you against unexpected costs associated with collision, damage, and theft for up to 48 days.
- In addition, when making purchases, the card provides an extended warranty of up to one year, as well as purchase protection, which protects you against damage or theft of an item for up to 90 days after purchase.
The TD Platinum Travel Visa* does not disappoint as a travel card. You not only get the best redemption value for your points when you book travel through Expedia for TD, but you also get a slew of other benefits. To help you see what travel benefits are available on your TD credit card, TD offers a really cool Credit Card Travel Insurance Verification Tool. That is a very useful feature that I haven’t seen from other credit card companies. Here are the 5 complimentary travel insurance benefits you receive:
- Flight/Trip Delay Insurance: If your flight or trip is delayed for more than 4 hours, you may be eligible for up to $500 in coverage.
- Travel Accident Insurance: Coverage of up to $500,000 for bodily injury sustained while traveling on a common carrier such as a plane, bus, train, ferry, etc.
- Delayed and Lost Baggage Insurance: If your baggage is lost or delayed for more than 6 hours, you can get up to $1,000 in coverage for the purchase of incidentals.
- Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance: Coverage of up to $2,500 for you, additional cardholders, and eligible guests traveling with you if covered items are stolen from your room.
- Auto Rental Collision/ Loss Damage Insurance: When you use your TD Platinum Travel Visa card to pay for your rental car in full through a rental car agency and decline their in-house insurance coverage, you’ll receive free collision and damage insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions About TD Platinum Travel Visa
Here are some frequently asked questions about the TD Platinum Travel Visa:
What is the interest rate on the TD Platinum Travel Visa?
The interest rate on the TD Platinum Travel Visa varies depending on the cardholder’s credit score and other factors. As of my knowledge cutoff in 2021, the standard interest rate was 19.99% for purchases and 22.99% for cash advances.
How do I earn points with the TD Platinum Travel Visa?
Cardholders earn points for every dollar they spend on travel purchases, including flights, hotels, rental cars, and cruises. Points can be redeemed for travel rewards, such as flights, hotel stays, car rentals, and vacation packages. Cardholders can also earn bonus points by using their card for non-travel purchases at select merchants.
Is there a limit to the number of points I can earn with the TD Platinum Travel Visa?
There is no limit to the number of points you can earn with the TD Platinum Travel Visa.
How do I redeem my points for travel rewards?
Cardholders can redeem their points for travel rewards online or by phone. The redemption process is flexible, allowing cardholders to book their travel rewards through TD’s travel agency or book their own travel and redeem points to offset the cost.
What kind of insurance coverage does the TD Platinum Travel Visa offer?
The TD Platinum Travel Visa includes a range of insurance coverage, including travel medical insurance, trip cancellation/interruption insurance, flight delay insurance, and baggage insurance. The coverage varies depending on the specific policy and cardholder’s eligibility.
Is there an annual fee for the TD Platinum Travel Visa?
Yes, there is an annual fee of $89 for the TD Platinum Travel Visa, but this fee is waived for the first year.
Is there a foreign transaction fee for the TD Platinum Travel Visa?
No, there is no foreign transaction fee for the TD Platinum Travel Visa, making it a good choice for international travelers.
Are there any additional perks or benefits for TD Platinum Travel Visa cardholders?
Yes, there are several additional perks and benefits for TD Platinum Travel Visa cardholders. These can include access to airport lounges, complimentary concierge services, special discounts on travel-related purchases, and more. The exact perks and benefits may vary depending on the specific card and the cardholder’s eligibility.
Can I add authorized users to my TD Platinum Travel Visa account?
Yes, cardholders can add authorized users to their TD Platinum Travel Visa account. Additional cards may be subject to additional fees.
How do I apply for a TD Platinum Travel Visa?
You can apply for a TD Platinum Travel Visa online or in person at a TD Bank branch. The application process typically requires providing personal and financial information, such as your income, employment status, and credit history. Approval for the card is subject to TD Bank’s credit approval criteria.
Was that helpful?