Coolidge Scholarship Program Application Guideline, requirements, benefits, and how to apply. Read more…
The Coolidge Scholarship program is an annual, full-ride, presidential scholarship that covers a student’s tuition, accommodation, board, and expenses for four years of undergraduate study in the USA.
Interestingly, this one-of-a-kind scholarship may be used at any accredited college or university in the USA.
About Coolidge Scholarship Program, USA
The Coolidge Scholarship Program is a full-ride presidential scholarship awarded each year that covers a student’s tuition, room, board, and expenses for four years of undergraduate study. Recipients may use the Coolidge at any accredited college or university in the United States. Anyone from any background and studying in any academic discipline may apply to this non-partisan, need-blind program.
Students apply for the Coolidge Scholarship during their junior year of high school. Finalists are flown in for a finalist weekend at the Coolidge Historic Site in Plymouth Notch, Vermont, where they will interview with the Coolidge Scholars Finalist Jury. Coolidge Scholarship recipients are notified of their award late in their junior year, before applying to college (note: current high school seniors are not eligible to apply). Finalists who are not named Coolidge Scholars are eligible for a smaller, one-time college scholarship.
You May Also Like: Davidson Fellows Scholarship Application Guideline
The Coolidge Scholarship Program is a highly competitive, merit-based scholarship program that provides full-ride scholarships to undergraduate students who are passionate about learning and demonstrate academic excellence, leadership potential, and a commitment to public service.
The program is named after President Calvin Coolidge, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest American presidents. The Coolidge Scholarship Program seeks to honor his legacy by supporting young people who embody the same values of intellectual curiosity, civic engagement, and ethical leadership.
To be eligible for the Coolidge Scholarship, students must be current high school juniors and must be planning to enroll in an accredited four-year college or university. Applicants must have a strong academic record, with a GPA of 3.5 or higher, and must have scored in the top 1% on either the SAT or ACT. They must also demonstrate leadership potential, community involvement, and a deep commitment to public service.
The Coolidge Scholarship covers the full cost of tuition, room, board, and expenses for four years of undergraduate study. In addition, scholarship recipients receive a stipend for books and other academic expenses. The program also provides opportunities for recipients to engage with each other and with leaders in various fields through a variety of events and activities.
The Coolidge Scholarship Program is highly selective, with only about 1% of applicants being selected as scholarship recipients. However, for those who are selected, the program provides an incredible opportunity to pursue their academic and leadership goals without the burden of financial debt.
Coolidge Scholarship Program Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the Coolidge Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current high school junior (i.e., a student who plans to graduate high school in the spring of 2023)
- Be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States
- Intend to enroll full-time in an accredited four-year college or university in the United States
- Have an unweighted GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Score in the 99th percentile on either the SAT or ACT (or, in the case of students who have taken both tests, score higher on one of them)
- Coolidge Scholarship applicants must intend to enroll full-time at an accredited U.S. college or university as an undergraduate for the first time in fall 2024.
- Demonstrate an interest in public policy and a strong record of leadership and community service
- Be able to attend the Coolidge Scholars Finalist Weekend, which is typically held in late April or early May (however, exceptions may be made for students who have conflicts with religious holidays or other significant events).
- Eligible Grade: High School Junior
- Age: 17 – 18
- Country of study: United States
- Field of Study: All Discipline
- Required GPA: Any
- Geographic Eligibility: United States
- Gender: Any
- Race/Ethnicity: Any
Here are the things you need to submit besides your application.
- Two Essays
- Two letters Recommendation
- Standardized Test Scores
- If selected as a finalist, students will be required to participate in an interview with the Coolidge Scholars Finalist Committee.
Coolidge Scholarship program value and benefits
The Coolidge Scholarship is a full-ride scholarship that covers the full cost of tuition, room, board, and expenses for four years of undergraduate study at any accredited college or university in the United States. In addition to the financial benefits, the Coolidge Scholarship provides its recipients with a number of other benefits, including:
- Coolidge Scholars are paired with a mentor who is a distinguished scholar, entrepreneur, or public figure, who offers guidance and support throughout their undergraduate studies.
- Summer Program: Coolidge Scholars participate in a fully-funded, three-week summer program at the Coolidge Presidential Library and Museum in Plymouth, Vermont, where they engage in intellectual discussions, cultural activities, and outdoor recreation.
- Internship Opportunities: Coolidge Scholars have access to a network of alumni and partners who offer internships and other professional development opportunities.
- Community: Coolidge Scholars become part of a community of like-minded individuals who share a commitment to intellectual curiosity, academic excellence, and public service.
How to Apply for Coolidge Scholarship Program
To apply for the Coolidge Scholarship, you will need to follow these steps:
- Check Eligibility: Confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements, including being enrolled as a high school junior with a minimum 3.5 GPA and SAT/ACT scores.
- Gather Materials: Collect all required application materials, including transcripts, test scores, essays, and letters of recommendation.
- Create an Account: Go to the Coolidge Scholarship website and create an account to start your application.
- Complete the Application: Fill out the online application, including personal and academic information, essays, and recommendations.
- Submit the Application: Submit your completed application before the deadline, which is usually in mid-January.
- Finalists: If selected as a finalist, you will be notified and required to participate in an interview with the Coolidge Scholars Finalist Committee.
- Click here for more information on how to apply
It’s important to note that the Coolidge Scholarship is a highly competitive award, and only about 3% of applicants are selected as finalists. Therefore, submitting a well-crafted and thoughtful application that highlights your academic achievements, leadership potential, and commitment to public service is important. Be sure to carefully review the application requirements and guidelines, and take the time to prepare your essays and recommendations in advance.
Coolidge Scholarship Program Timeline
- September 1, 2022: Application Opening Date
- Applications usually open in September every year.
- February 23, 2023: Submission Deadline
- The deadline is in January/February the next year. You can check the website for the exact date.
- June 1, 2023: The scholarship Award Announcement
FAQs About Coolidge Scholarship Program
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Coolidge Scholarship:
What does Coolidge Scholarship Program cover?
A Coolidge Scholarship is one of the most generous college scholarships available anywhere in the world. It covers a student’s full tuition, room and board, and required fees for four years of undergraduate study. The Coolidge Scholarship also includes an annual stipend for books and supplies.
How does the Coolidge Scholarship differ from other scholarships?
The Coolidge Scholarship is America’s “unconditional” merit scholarship, awarded regardless of geographic location, race, family background, family income, area of study, or university to be attended. Coolidge Scholars are identified prior to university application and can use their award at any accredited U.S. college or university where they gain admission.
What is the deadline to apply for the Coolidge Scholarship?
The deadline to apply for the Coolidge Scholarship is usually in mid-January. However, it’s important to check the official website for the most up-to-date information.
Can international students apply for the Coolidge Scholarship program?
No, only U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents are eligible to apply for the Coolidge Scholarship.
Can I apply if I am homeschooled?
Yes, homeschooled students are eligible to apply for the Coolidge Scholarship. However, they must still meet all other eligibility requirements and provide transcripts and test scores.
Do I have to attend a specific college or university if I receive the Coolidge Scholarship?
No, Coolidge Scholars are free to attend any accredited college or university in the United States.
What is the selection process for the Coolidge Scholarship?
The selection process for the Coolidge Scholarship is highly competitive. A committee of scholars and educators reviews applications and a small group of finalists is invited to participate in an interview with the Coolidge Scholars Finalist Committee.
How many Coolidge Scholarships are awarded each year?
The number of Coolidge Scholarships awarded each year varies, but typically about 50-60 scholarships are awarded.
Is the Coolidge Scholarship renewable?
Yes, the Coolidge Scholarship is renewable for up to four years of undergraduate study, as long as the recipient maintains a minimum 3.0 GPA and remains in good academic standing.
Did you find that helpful? Share your experience with us in the comment box below.