Are you planning to visit East Africa? Then, you will need an East Africa Visa.
The East Africa Visa is a travel document that allows visitors to explore multiple countries in the East African region with a single visa. This innovative initiative aims to promote tourism, enhance regional integration, and facilitate seamless travel for tourists and business travelers.
With an East Africa Visa, travelers can explore the diverse attractions, cultures, and natural wonders of Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda, making their journey across East Africa more convenient and efficient.
This post provides an overview of the East Africa Visa and its benefits, how to apply, eligibility, application fee, etc, guiding travelers on how to obtain and make the most of this travel document.
What is East Africa Visa?
The East Africa Visa is a travel document that allows visitors to travel to Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda using a single visa. It is a unique initiative aimed at promoting regional integration and facilitating travel for tourists and business travelers within the East African region.
The participating countries in the East Africa Visa program may vary, but they typically include Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda. The visa enables travelers to enter any of these countries and move freely within the region without the need for separate visas for each destination.
The East Africa Visa is particularly beneficial for those who wish to explore the diverse attractions, natural wonders, and cultural heritage of multiple countries within East Africa. It simplifies the visa application process and eliminates the hassle of obtaining multiple visas, making travel more convenient and efficient.
The specific details regarding the availability, requirements, and fees for the East Africa Visa may vary among the participating countries. It is recommended to consult with the respective embassies, consulates, or visa facilitation services to obtain accurate and up-to-date information when planning your trip.
Overall, the East Africa Visa aims to promote tourism, enhance regional cooperation, and encourage travelers to discover the beauty and richness of the East African region (Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda).
What is East Africa Tourist Visa?
The East Africa Tourist Visa is a special visa that allows travelers to visit multiple countries in the East African region (Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda) with a single travel document. It is a collaborative effort among the participating countries to promote tourism and facilitate easier travel for visitors. The countries currently included in the East Africa Tourist Visa program are Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda.
With the East Africa Tourist Visa, travelers can enter any of the participating countries and then move freely within the designated region for tourism purposes. This means that you can explore the diverse landscapes, wildlife, cultural sites, and attractions of these countries without the need to obtain separate visas for each destination.
The East Africa Tourist Visa is typically valid for 90 days from the date of entry and allows multiple entries within the participating countries. It offers convenience and flexibility for travelers who wish to explore more than one country in the East African region during their trip.
Note: The visa is not renewable upon expiry or upon exit from the block (Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda).
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Latest Caregiver Jobs With Visa Sponsorship in UK 2023: Apply Now Free
It’s important to note that the availability, requirements, and fees for the East Africa Tourist Visa may vary, so it’s advisable to check with the respective embassies, consulates, or visa facilitation services of the participating countries for the most up-to-date information before planning your trip.
Summary of East Africa Visa (Tourist Visa) Requirements
- Dependents: All persons must apply in their own right.
- Travel document: Any genuine acceptable travel document valid not less than 6 months.
- Application Period: 2 Working Days.
- Visa Fees: 100 USD
- Validity of VISA: 90 days.
- Single or Multiple Entry: Multiple entry.
- Work or No Work: Work is not permitted
- Visa Extension: An East Africa Tourist Visa shall not be extended.
Note: The issuing country should be your first entry point.
Type of East Africa Tourist Visa
An East Africa Tourist Visa is a multiple-entry visa and shall be valid for 90 days.
Benefits of Obtaining an East Africa Visa
Obtaining an East Africa Visa offers several benefits for travelers:
- Access to Multiple Countries: With an East Africa Visa, travelers have the opportunity to explore multiple countries within the region without the need for separate visas. This means you can visit Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda (or other participating countries) using a single travel document, making it easier to plan and execute your itinerary.
- Convenience and Efficiency: The East Africa Visa streamlines the visa application process by eliminating the need to apply for multiple visas for each country you wish to visit. This saves time, effort, and reduces administrative hassle, allowing you to focus more on enjoying your trip.
- Cost Savings: By obtaining a single East Africa Visa instead of separate visas for each country, travelers can save money on visa fees. Additionally, it reduces transportation costs, as you won’t need to return to your home country or visit embassies/consulates multiple times for visa applications.
- Flexibility in Travel Plans: The East Africa Visa typically offers a generous validity period, allowing travelers to explore the region at their own pace. It often permits multiple entries, enabling you to leave and re-enter participating countries without any additional visa requirements during the visa’s validity period.
- Tourism Promotion: The East Africa Visa program aims to boost tourism in the region by attracting more visitors. By simplifying travel logistics and making it easier to explore multiple countries, the visa encourages travelers to discover the diverse landscapes, wildlife, cultural heritage, and attractions of East Africa.
- Enhanced Regional Integration: The East Africa Visa initiative promotes regional integration among participating countries. It fosters cooperation, cultural exchange, and economic development by facilitating cross-border travel and collaboration.
Who is Eligible for East Africa Tourist Visa
East Africa Visa eligibility criteria: Any foreign tourist who wishes to visit the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, and the Republic of Uganda at the same time. The visa will be issued at any of Kenya’s, Uganda’s, or Rwanda’s diplomatic representations, as well as at the respective countries’ immigration offices or online, where applicable.
Application Requirements for East Africa Visa
Below are the requirements for Securing an East Africa Tourist Visa:
- A Copy of your passport (Bio-data page) with at least 6 months validity
- Copy of recent Passport size Photograph
- A complete filled application form.
- Visa application letter addressed to the issuing authority of the concerned country.
- Vaccination Certificate (Yellow fever)
- Return Ticket
- Travel Itinerary
East Africa Visa Fees (East Africa Tourist Visa Fees)
The Fee payable East Africa Tourist Visa is USD 100.
- The Visa Fees are non-refundable and all payments are subject to a bank charge.
- All documents attached should be in the English language.
- Any other documents may be required during visa processing.
Validity of East Africa Visa (Tourist Visa)
This visa is granted for 3 months (90 days) from the date of issue and, it is not extendable within the country.
How to Apply for East Africa Tourist Visa Online
To apply for the East Africa Visa, you can submit your application at any diplomatic representation of the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, and the Republic of Uganda. Alternatively, you can also apply at the Immigration Offices of the respective countries or use online application systems where available as shown 👇👇
Here is a step-by-step guide for applying for the East Africa Visa online:
- Step 1: Log in to the Immigration Portal and select “Start New Application.”
- Step 2: Read and accept the terms and conditions stated in the Disclaimer.
- Step 3: Choose the appropriate visa or permit type, category, and sub-category.
- Step 4: Fill out the application form with accurate and complete information.
- Step 5: Upload all the required documents. As you do so, a six-digit application ID (e.g., 234790123) will be automatically generated as the reference number for your application.
- Step 6: If your application requires prepayment, proceed to make the payment.
- Step 7: Once your application is approved and doesn’t require any additional payment, an approval letter will be generated and sent to your email. You can also access it on the home page of the Immigration Portal.
- Step 8: If your application requires a top-up payment after approval, proceed to make the additional payment. Once the payment is confirmed, an approval letter will be generated and sent to you.
- Step 9: Visit the immigration office or designated border checkpoint for biometric capture. Make sure to bring along all the uploaded documents, payment receipts, the approval letter, and your passport.
Where To Get East Africa Visa
The East African tourist visa will be issued at any of the diplomatic representations of Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda, at the immigration offices of the respective countries, or online where applicable.
Here is the list of places where you can get an East African visa:
- Kenya: If you are starting your trip in Kenya, you can apply for the East African Tourist Visa by visiting the official website: https://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html. Alternatively, you can click on this link to access more information regarding the application process.
- Rwanda: For travelers starting their trip in Rwanda, you can apply for the East African Tourist Visa through the Rwanda Online Visa Application System. When filling out the application, select “East Africa Tourist Visa” under the “Type of Visa” section. If you need further details, please contact your local Rwanda embassy for assistance.
- Uganda: If your journey begins in Uganda, you can find comprehensive information about the visa application process on the consular section of your local Uganda embassy or by visiting their official website. They will provide you with the necessary details and guidance for applying for the East African Tourist Visa in Uganda.
The East African Tourist Visa allows the visa holder to enter the East African region from the country that issued the visa and freely travel within the two other countries without the need to apply for additional visas or pay extra visa fees.
Moreover, the visa holder is permitted to exit and re-enter the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, and the Republic of Uganda within the 90-day validity period without incurring any additional visa charges.
It is important to note that visas issued for specific countries are valid only for entry into and travel within that particular country. The East Africa Tourist Visa, on the other hand, enables visa holders to explore multiple countries within the East African region using a single visa.
Frequently Asked Questions About East Africa Visa (Tourist Visa)
Here are some frequently asked questions about the East Africa Tourist Visa:
What is the East Africa Tourist Visa?
The East African Tourist Visa is a special visa that allows travelers to visit multiple countries in the East African region with a single travel document.
How Much Does East Africa Visa Cost?
The East African tourist visa costs $100 and can be paid online with MasterCard, Visa, or any other credit card. Note that the visa fees are not refundable. Generally speaking, processing the East African visa can take between one day to one full week if you apply for it online.
What is needed for an East African visa?
To apply for the East Africa Visa online, we require the following documents and information: Details and a copy of your valid passport and its cover. Your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months upon entry to these East African countries.
Which countries are included in the East Africa Visa program?
The participating countries typically include Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda. However, it’s always recommended to check for the latest information as the list of countries may be subject to change.
How long is the East Africa Tourist Visa valid?
The visa is typically valid for 90 days from the date of entry. During this period, travelers can move freely within the participating countries without the need for additional visas.
Can I enter any participating country with the East Africa Tourist Visa?
No, you must enter the East African region through the country that issued your visa. You can then travel within the other two countries without obtaining another visa.
Can I exit and re-enter the East African region with the East African Tourist Visa?
Yes, within the 90-day validity period, you can exit and re-enter the participating countries without needing to pay for another visa.
Can I use the East Africa Tourist Visas for purposes other than tourism?
The visa is specifically designed for tourism purposes, including leisure travel, sightseeing, and cultural exploration. For other purposes such as business or employment, it’s advisable to check the visa requirements of the specific country you intend to visit.
How do I apply for the East Africa Tourist Visa?
The application process may vary depending on the country you start your trip from. Generally, you can apply online through the respective country’s visa application portal or through their diplomatic missions/embassies.
Are there any restrictions or limitations with the East Africa Tourist Visa?
It’s important to adhere to the visa’s terms and conditions, such as the duration of stay, visa validity period, and purpose of visit. Overstaying or engaging in unauthorized activities may result in penalties or immigration issues.
Can I extend the East African Tourist Visa?
Visa extensions are subject to the rules and regulations of the individual participating countries. It’s advisable to contact the respective immigration authorities or consult with a visa facilitation service for guidance on visa extensions.
Are there any age restrictions for the East African Tourist Visa?
The visa is generally available to travelers of all ages, including children. However, specific requirements and documents may vary, especially for minors, so it’s recommended to check the visa guidelines or consult with the relevant authorities.