Traveling to Canada sounds like a great adventure, right? Are you aware of the Canada tourist visa requirements? Before you travel to Canada for any purpose, there are some documents that you must have. Without these documents, you will not be allowed to enter Canada.
However, you don’t have to worry if you don’t know the documents required to travel to Canada. This post is here to give you everything you need to know about Canada visa-required documents at a glance. Keep reading to the end to get all you need to know before traveling to your dream country.
There is no doubt that Canada is the most immigration-friendly nation in the world. It is also a lovely country to visit, with many natural wonders, historical monuments, and diverse cultures.
While most immigration applicants are granted a tourist visa to Canada, many applications are rejected due to incomplete forms and insufficient or incorrect documentation.
If you want to get a tourist visa for Canada, keep reading to learn everything you need to know.
If you want to visit Canada, you may need to apply for a Canadian visa, depending on your country of residence.
Check here to see if you need a visa to enter Canada.
If your country is on the list of countries whose nationals require a visa to enter Canada, you must apply for a Canadian visa. The type of Canadian visa you require is determined by the purpose and length of your stay. For example, if you wanted to visit Canada, you’d need a Temporary Visitor Visa. A Student Visa would be required if you wanted to study.
Who Requires Canada Tourist Visa?
Foreign nationals who wish to visit Canada for the following reasons need a Canadian visitor visa:
- Meet family and friends
- Leisure and tourism purpose
- Business purpose
To enter Canada, all of the above categories require a visitor visa. This is a type of short-term resident visa.
What Are the Required Documents for a Canada Visa?
The following documents are required for a Canada visa:
- Your passport.
- Appropriate Canada visa application form.
- Proof of paid Canada visa fees.
- Proof of clean criminal record.
- Photographs in accordance with the photo requirements for a Canada visa.
- Proof of financial means.
- Proof you will return to your home country once the Canadian visa expires.
- Identity and Civil Status Documents.
- Proof of being in good health through a medical exam.
- A cover letter that explains the purpose of your travel to Canada.
- Letter of support/invitation to Canada.
The requirements may vary depending on whether the applicant is an adult (over the age of 18) or a minor (17 or under). On an application, only adults can be primary applicants. The minors must be listed as dependents.
There are different requirements if a minor is traveling alone. (See the visa requirements for minors below).
Passport – Canada Tourist Visa Requirements
You must have a valid passport and any other necessary travel documents. When applying for a Canadian visa, you must submit photocopies of your passport’s information page. It must include the following:
- Your passport number.
- The date of issue and expiry.
- Your personal information: name, photo, place of birth, and date of birth.
Documents and Forms
To apply for a Canadian visa, you must pay the required fees and include the receipts with your application. The fees vary depending on the purpose of the trip.
Fees are classified into two types:
- Application processing fees
- Biometric fees
Canadian visa photos – Canada Tourist Visa
According to Canada’s requirements, you must provide two passport photographs. If your photos do not meet the requirements set by the Canadian government, your application may be rejected.
You should bring the photo requirements with you to the photo shoot and show them to the photographer.
Proof of Financial Means – Canada Tourist Visa Requirements
You must show proof that you can financially support yourself and any family members accompanying you for the duration of your stay. You can accomplish this by using the following methods:
- Bank statements.
- Letter of employment indicating annual earnings.
- Evidence that you have arranged for financial support from friends/family to cover the duration of your stay.
- Evidence of your Canadian host’s or family member’s income.
Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list, and different countries may require different types of proof.
Proof you will return to your home country once the visa expires
You must convince your visa officers that you will return home after your visa expires. There are several options, including:
- Proof of employment. You must provide copies of your employment contract, a letter of employment identifying you as a permanent employee, stating when you are expected to return to work, and your role at the company.
- If you own property in your home country, you must provide proof of ownership, such as title deeds or lease agreements.
- If you have familial ties in your home country or people who require your care, such as elderly family members or children, you must obtain proof of your responsibilities.
Identity and Civil Status Documents
Photocopies of your identity and civil status documents must be submitted with your Canada visa application. Birth certificates, marriage certificates, and divorce/annulment certificates are examples of such documents.
You may be asked to provide National IDs or family or household registries in some cases.
For more information, please contact the visa office in your country.
Medical Exam – Canada Tourist Visa Requirements
To obtain a Canadian visa, you must be in good health. To demonstrate this, you may be required to undergo a medical examination and submit the results with your application.
A medical exam is usually not required if you plan to stay for less than six months unless you will be working closely with people.
Your regular doctor, however, will be unable to perform the examination. A Panel Physician will be required.
Panel Physicians for each country are listed on the IRCC website.
You must show that you have no prior criminal records and are not a danger to Canadian society. This is possible if you obtain a police certificate or clearance in your home country.
In some cases, you may be required to provide police clearances from any country where you have lived for more than six months.
Purpose of Travel
When applying for a Canadian visa, you must state your reason for visiting Canada. The requirements vary by country, but they may include:
- A letter of invitation from your sponsor or the family member/friend you will be visiting.
- Contact information for people who can help you with your stated reason for visiting.
- Any documents that support your travel purpose.
Letter of support/invitation – Canada Tourist Visa Requirements
In some cases, you may be required to provide a letter of invitation from a Canadian. That person must be a Canadian citizen or have Permanent Residence in Canada.
You are not legally responsible for the person who writes the letter. He or she must provide you with that letter, which you must include in your application.
The following information about you (the person applying for the visa) must be included in the letter:
- Birth date.
- Phone number and address.
- The relationship you have with the person who is writing the letter.
- How long you intend to stay in Canada, where you will stay, and when you plan to leave.
- How you plan to support yourself financially.
The following information about the writer must also be included in the letter:
- Their full name and birth date.
- Their address and phone number in Canada.
- His/her citizenship or permanent residency status, as well as a photocopy of a document proving it.
- Their position title.
- Their family information (names and birth dates for his/her spouse and dependents).
- How many people live in their household.
Canada Visa Requirements For Minors
Minors traveling to Canada must follow the same rules as all other visitors. However, depending on how they are traveling, children may require additional documentation. All minors, regardless of the mode of transportation, must carry:
- Their passport
- Copy of their birth certificate
Then, depending on whether they are traveling alone or with someone, they will need to bring the following documents:
Traveling alone: A letter of authorization signed by both parents or legal guardians is required. The letter must:
- Be in either English or French
- Include the parents’/legal guardians’ address and phone number
- Contain information (name, address, phone number) of the person who will take care of the child in Canada
Accompanied by one parent: A signed letter of authorization from the parent who is not traveling with them. It must include the following:
- The address and phone number of the parent who is not traveling.
- A photocopy of the parent’s passport and national identity card.
If the parents are divorced but share custody, the parent in attendance must bring copies of the legal custody documents as well as a letter of authorization from the other parent.
If only one parent has custody: A copy of the custody decree must be brought.
However, if one of the parents has died, the other parent is required to bring a copy of the death certificate.
Bring a copy of the guardianship or adoption papers if traveling with legal guardians/adoptive parents.
If they are traveling with someone who is not their parent or legal guardian, they must have written permission from their parents/guardians. The address/es and phone numbers of the parents/legal guardians must be included in the letter.
Minimum Requirements for a Canada Tourist Visa
Requirements for a Canada Tourist/Visitor Visa
An applicant’s requirements for a Canada visitor visa are as follows:
- A valid passport
- Be in good health
- Must have no criminal record
- Must have enough funds to support your stay in Canada
- The applicant must provide the travel itinerary and to and from air tickets
- Must show proof of job, family, and financial assets
Supporting documents for a visitor visa applicant
The documents you must submit with your visa application are determined by your reason for visiting Canada.
Documents to submit with your visa application and bring when you travel
About the listed documents:
- Some of the documents listed below are optional, while others are required.
- This is not an exhaustive list of evidence that can be used to support your visa application.
- Only submit the optional documents that demonstrate your visa eligibility.
- Even if you submit all of the required documents, we cannot guarantee that your application will be approved.
- We may request additional information from you in addition to what is listed here.
|Document||Required||Description||Details to include||When you may need this document|
|Travel history||No (optional) – visa application||If you’ve traveled to Canada or to other countries, this can show that you’ve been able to get a visa in the past.|
Proof of this includes copies of previous visas in your passport.
|A clear copy of 1 or more of the following:||Submit with visa application|
|Itinerary||No (optional) – visa application||Documents that show how long you plan to stay and what you’ll do in Canada.||Copies of any of the following:||Submit with visa application|
|Account statement||No (optional) – visa application||This can help us understand if you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada.||Bank name and contact|
This allows us to contact your bank or financial institution with questions.Proof it is your account
Your name and address on the statement show that the account is yours.Account details
At least 6 months of account details, including balances, helps us understand your financial situation.
|Submit with visa application|
|Identity document||Yes – visa application||Documents we accept:|
Documents we don’t accept:
|A clear color copy of your valid passport or travel document that you’ll use to travel to Canada.|
If you have a passport, you must provide a copy of
If you have a travel document, it must be issued by a government and include your
|Submit with visa application|
|Use of a representative (IMM 5476)||Yes (required) – if applicable||Family members who apply on behalf of the applicant or third parties need to complete this form.||A completed IMM 5476 form.||Submit with visa application|
|Authority to release personal information to a designated individual (IMM 5475)||No (optional) – visa application||Use this form if you want to allow Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to release your personal information to someone you choose.|
The person you choose will be able to get information on your case file, such as the status of your application.
|A completed IMM 5475 form.||Submit with visa application|
|Family information (IMM 5645)||Yes (required) – visa application||Each applicant 18 years or older must complete this form.||A completed IMM 5645 form.||Submit with visa application|
|Minor children||Yes (required) – visa application (if applicable)||Documents needed depend if child under 18 years of age will travel with only 1 parent, with a relative or friend, or alone.||You may need to show|
Consult Minor children traveling to Canada
|1. Submit with visa application|
2. Show border services officer when you arrive in Canada
Visa Application Process for Canadian Tourist Visa from India
To apply for a Canada visa, you must be patient and complete the following steps:
- Download the visa application
- Attach all the documents supporting the application
- Pay the visa processing fee and biometrics fee
- Submit your application
- Give your biometrics (fingerprint and photograph) to visit the embassy or consulate
- Upon reviewing your background check and eligibility, you will receive your decision.
During the review stage, the immigration department may request additional documents.
What is the Cost of a Canada Tourist Visa?
The fee for a tourist visa is as follows:
- Application fee: 100 CAD (6,140 INR approx.)
- Biometrics fee: 85 CAD (5,219 INR approx.)
Amount Needed for a Canada Tourist Visa
An individual living in Canada requires approximately 1,230 CAD (INR 75,525 approx.) per month for their monthly expenses, while an applicant visiting for tourism requires approximately 2,000 CAD (INR 1,22,805 approx.) for 30 days per person.
This is in addition to the visa fee.
Canada Tourist Visa Processing Time
It takes 10-15 working days to process visitor visas.
- Time for giving biometrics
- Application send between VAC and visa office
Note: Visitor visas are non-immigrant visas.
Important FAQs About Canada Tourist Visa
Why would you like to visit Canada?
- Good economy and standard of living
- Modern and multicultural cities
- Natural attractions like Rocky Mountain Parks, Niagara Falls, etc
- Famous events and festivals of the country
- Several outdoor activities like camping, rafting, etc
- Canada’s 4 seasons have different charms in the country
- Witness the dominant French culture in Canada
- Very feasible for a vacation with kids
To see all of this, you must obtain a visa in Canada by paying the appropriate visa fees along with the visa application to travel on a temporary resident visa or permit.
Can I work with a visitor visa/Canada Tourist Visa?
No. When you have a visitor visa stamped in your passport, you are not allowed to work or engage in any commercial activity that will allow you to enter the labor market.
Can I apply for a Canadian visa without an invitation letter?
An invitation letter is not required when applying for a visitor visa. It is an additional document to strengthen your case and demonstrate to the immigration officer that you are visiting Canada to meet family or friends or to visit Canadian citizens who have invited you over.
How long is a Canada tourist visa valid?
A person with a visit visa in their passport can stay in Canada for up to 6 months. You must leave the country before your permit expires.
Why you should apply for a visitor visa online rather than on paper?
The CIC government has begun an online process in addition to the paper process. Online visa applications may be more advantageous because:
- If submitted online, there is no need for a courier or mailing.
- The submission has been received immediately.
- The online process is faster.
- If you submit an incomplete visa application offline, the visa application is returned to you after a few days,
- whereas your visa application is submitted online once the form is completed.
- You are not required to submit your passport until the CIC requests it.
- Get direct visa status updates in your online account.
Who needs electronic travel authorization (eTA)?
Applicants from non-visa-required countries who intend to travel to Canada by air must obtain an eTA, or travel document, or notify the Canada Visa Application Centre ahead of time.
What cannot be done on a visit visa?
If you have a visit permit, you cannot do the following:
- You cannot study if you have a visitor visa and choose to study by obtaining a study permit in the country.
- You are not permitted to work in Canada because you lack a valid work permit.
- More so, you are not permitted to stay in Canada indefinitely.
If you want to get a tourist visa for Canada, make sure you have all of the necessary documents.
The following documents are required:
- Proof of funds
- Cover letter
- Letter of invitation
- Visa application form and other documents
- Travel itinerary
- Memorandum of Association and other documents
- Documents of Proof
If you still have any confusion regarding the Canada visa application process or Canada tourist visa requirements, feel free to reach out to us.